The Living Room Sessions
~ A Radical Business Intensive ~
Edmonton. February 14-17, 2019
— 5 Spaces Left —
I’d like to host you and nine others in my living room for an application-only, pay-what-you-can marketing training where you get over $780 of marketing materials the moment you’re accepted.
I will be hosting a three-and-a-half-day retreat in Edmonton in February in my living room. I used to call it the Radical Business Intensive but just the other day, I decided to rename it: The Living Room Sessions. I thought I’d write up a few words to tell you a bit more about it and what you can expect from it, to see if it might be a fit for you right now.
The Living Room Sessions is a content-rich, roll-up your sleeves, nuts and bolts weekend experience. You’d pay at least $1800 for it if I were to charge a flat fee. It’s all about how you can grow your business and attract all of the right kinds of clients. But instead of paying $1800, you pay whatever you want to pay/can afford (at the very end of the weekend).
What will it be like?
Imagine hot seats, mini TED talks, intensive dyads with people who know how to listen and have something worth listening to themselves.
Imagine having three-and-a-half-days away from it all, with a small but mighty group of entrepreneurs. Imagine finally having time to reflect on and actually work on your own business.
Imagine sitting with your laptop over lunch and having a new colleague walk you through the re-doing of your homepage or sales page; or taking a walk on through the river valley while you get feedback on an offer you’ve been thinking up; or perhaps sitting in the cozy Sugarbowl Cafe helping that new colleague rework their whole social media strategy.
This could be a great fit for you if you:
- have followed my work for a while and resonate with it.
- are willing to put in three hours of work before you come.
- have been in business for at least one year, or ideally three or more.
- have a business and not just a hobby. You’re serious about growing it.
- know your business could be doing better than it is but you need help with your marketing.
- are open to candid feedback from a group of your peers.
“Think of the words truth, authenticity and integrity. Does those words immediately bring to mind the concept of ‘marketing?’ If they do, you have likely worked with Tad Hargrave. If they don’t, I humbly suggest that you check out his substantial body of work. I recently attended his business marketing intensive and it was one of the most beneficial things I could have done for myself – notice I said for myself, not just my business.
Tad is a skillful listener, a great synthesizer of diffuse ideas and masterful at drawing forward the essence of one’s work. His process takes you right to the heart of the matter, and leaves you stunned by the clarity of your own vision beneath the rubble of your half-baked ideas. If you are at all confused about the best way to present your work to the world, do yourself a favour and check him out at marketingforhippies.com Thank you Tad for your practical, brilliant, and illuminating presence and process.”
– Gael McCool, ifeelmorenow.com
Profit Before You Pay: $780+ in Books and Programs in Your Inbox the Moment You’re Accepted.
As a bonus you’ll be getting all of the products on my website for participants in this program. This is 14 eBooks (over 1500 pages) my Niching Spiral HomeStudy, PLUS the Marketing for Hippies 101 videos and workbook. You’d pay $780 if you wanted to buy these all on my website. And there will likely be another eBook or two added for you between now and the workshop weekend.
As soon as you are accepted and your deposit is paid, you will get these eBooks and the videos and workbooks. My hope is that, by digging into these materials before the workshop, you’ll make the money you need to pay for the workshop. I want you to profit before you pay.
Catch #1: Once you’ve registered, you will be emailed the full contents of my Marketing for Hippies 101 workshop (it’s 3.5 hours of video content that I sell for $80 on my site). And I am asking you to review this in full before you come (unless you’ve attended the live workshop in the past two years).
This means that, by the time we all arrive together, we’ll all have a similar language to use when talking about marketing. This is content you’ll be able to review over and over again after our retreat.
In the Marketing for Hippies 101 Workshop Video, you will:
- learn 5 reasons why marketing matters in making the world be a better place (so you don’t see marketing as just a selfish act).
- get a lucid and simple answer to the question, “why does marketing feel bad?” (so you can make sure your marketing never does).
- learn about the dynamics of Posturing, Collapsing & Composure (which may help you see the exact dynamic that’s keeping you stuck – you may have never noticed this before).
- hear about the concept of “polarizing” in marketing (and how being extremely real, honest and vulnerable can get you more of the kinds of clients you’re craving).
- learn about the three kinds of prospectors. Every potential client you will ever meet fits into one of these three categories. Each of them requires an entirely different strategy. Learning this will let you know exactly what you need to do with each person you meet and avoid any manipulative tactics of any kind.
- get to explore the three roles of marketing. Most people think that marketing has only one role: to get people to say, “yes.” I disagree with this. Understanding these three roles is like hooking up a flawless diagnostic machine to all of your marketing that can pin point exactly where your issues are and what to do about them. It will also free you from the need to use any sort of approach to marketing that could feel even slightly bad to anyone (including you).
- learn the three core elements of your marketing strategy. Whenever I look at any business it is always through the lens of these three pieces. When these three core elements are in place, you attract clients without a lot of extra fuss and good vibes for everyone. When these three core elements aren’t in place, everything is a struggle.
- get three simple strategies for identifying and connecting with your hubs (and learn why this is the most important thing that anyone could do to attract more clients with the qualities that you want).
- learn the seven things your business can be known for (most entrepreneurs only ever focus on one of these seven). This is a conversation that digs deep into the notions of branding and identity.
I’d like to make my best possible case for you to come (even if you’ve been to my workshops before).
Assuming you generally like my work and what I’m about, there are ten solid reasons to consider finding a way to get there (even if you need to travel a bit). I think reasons #3, #6 and #7 are worth paying extra attention to.
Reason #1: This is a rare opportunity.
I only do this workshop once per year. I don’t seem to be touring it much anymore. It is much more profitable and easier for me to focus on doing online programs or to lead day-long workshops when I do travel.
. . . And I’m better at the content which remains the same. If it’s been a few years since you’ve been to my workshops, I can promise you that it won’t be the same workshop that you attended before.
Reason #3: It’s pay-what-you-can.
There’s a $100 deposit to confirm your space (if you choose the PWYC option) but, other than that, you can pay me whatever you want to pay me at the end of the workshop (with the two charming catches above and below that I think you’ll agree are fair).
Reason #4: The power of a focused weekend.
Spending a whole weekend focusing on anything is liable to earn you some progress. During this weekend, you’ll be guided through your largest marketing sticking points. You’ll have three days to dedicate your focus to improving your marketing (time we likely wouldn’t, if we’re honest, spend on our own).
Reason #5: Networking.
You’ll get to spend the weekends with a couple dozen of Edmonton’s finest (and likely some folks travelling in from other cities). These are people who may have clear insights to offer you. They might have some important connections for you. They might be important connections to you themselves. So many entrepreneurs are really solopreneurs meaning that they do everything themselves. And, frankly, it’s why so many of them fail. To succeed in business you need partnership and a team. These are people you’ll be able to stay in touch with after the weekend if you click who could be a huge support for you in your marketing.
Reason #6: Small Group + Powerful workshop format designed for relevance.
Over three and a half days, you are guaranteed to get your toughest questions addressed by me personally. I charge $300/hour for my coaching usually.
The format for this weekend will be 100% question and answer and hot seats. We will start the weekend with you honing in on your most burning question and then go through a process of ranking and prioritizing these collectively held questions and we’ll spend the weekend working through that list in order of priority.
I’m not going to teach content unless I am convinced that it is relevant to the group and the moment. Any exercises we do will come out of those questions. This weekend workshop will be 100% designed around who is in the room. And, given that there are only 10 people allowed, this means that you are guaranteed to get my personal attention.
Reason #7: Get things done during the weekend.
Do you have a sales page or homepage you’ve been meaning to rewrite? A marketing strategy you’ve been meaning to plan out? During this weekend, you will have time to make progress on these things while getting feedback from myself and the other participants.
Reason #8: If not now, then when?
I hear so many people say, “I really need to handle my marketing.” And I, often, silently wonder, “When? When are you going to actually set aside time to think about these things? When are you going to actually make it a priority to do work not just in your business but on your business?”
Why not this weekend?
Reason #9: Get asked hard questions.
If you think that this weekend will just be about you asking me hard questions, you’d be very wrong.
Most of this weekend will be myself and others putting some very simple but incredibly hard questions to you. These are questions you would likely just as soon avoid if you could. These are questions that many entrepreneurs never take the time to really answer. These are deceptively simple questions like, “What do you do?”, “How do you do it?”, “Why do you do it this way?” and “For whom do you do it?” The questions are simple but most entrepreneurs do not have solid answers to them.
But every hour you spend wrestling with these questions saves you a hundred hours in your marketing. And that’s not hype. That’s the reality of business. Most businesses fail within five years because these questions were never answered well to begin with.
Timing & Schedule:
Thursday, February 14th -10am – 5pm
Friday, February 15th – 10am – 5pm
Saturday, February 16th – 10am – 5pm
Sunday, February 17th – 10am – 1pm
Some Important Words on The Price:
There are three ways you can pay:
1. Pay-what-you-can: This is how I invite you to pay. This means that, if accepted, you will send in a $100 deposit to confirm your spot. This is refundable up until two weeks before the week. After that, it is not. Then, at the end of the weekend, in the last 15 minutes as we finish and settle up, you can pay whatever you want to pay on top of that, whatever you are able. Whatever you pay is perfect. There’s no minimum. There’s no maximum. Truly. If the $100 deposit is too much, email me at and we can work something out.
Catch #2: You will pay me in four instalments spread out over a year. These PWYC payments can be for any amounts on any dates within one year. I’ve opted for this approach for my weekend workshops because, in my experience, entrepreneurs are cash-flow poor and it’s easier to spread payments out rather than people feeling terrible that they can’t pay much all in one moment.
- PWYC Option A: Four Cheques. One cheque payable immediately and the remaining three payable over one year on dates that work for you.
- PWYC Option B: via PayPal. You can send these manually or I can set up four PayPal auto-payments. One immediately and the rest over the coming year on dates that work for you.
- PWYC Option C: via eTransfer. You can pay me via eTransfer direct from your bank. I can set up email reminders to help you remember, for the dates that work for you.
2. Pay in Full at Market Value: I offer this only because pay-what-you-can makes some people deeply uneasy and who would rather just have it all settled before it gets started. If that’s the case, you can pay the market value of $1800 upfront.
3. Payment Plan for Market Value: Again, I’d rather you do pay-what-you-can but, if that feels uncomfortable to you, another option is to make four payments of $450 over a schedule of your choice within one year.
***To be very clear: you are not expected to pay anywhere close to $1800. It’s a legitimate PWYC deal. I want this to be accessible and sustainable for you.***
SECOND: Notification. You will receive a notification within 48 hours of your application whether or not you have been accepted. If accepted, you pay your $100 deposit to confirm your spot (remember: This is refundable up until two weeks before the week).
THIRD: Grounding Materials. When accepted, you will receive your more than $450 of grounding materials which you can begin to review immediately.
p.s. Here’s who you’ll be spending your weekend with: marketingforhippies.com/rbiedmontonparticipants
p.p.s. If you can’t make it to the weekend but you’d like to, I can offer an alternate option: consider doing the Homestudy version. The Marketing for Hippies 101 Homestudy video is a recording of my daylong workshop. It’s only $80. You get three-and-a-half-hours of video and 122 pages of content to help you dig deeper into what you’ve learned. This material is the result of a decade of work and research, and hundreds of dollars spent in filming, editing, designing and transcribing to get it “just right.” You can learn more about the Marketing for Hippies 101 Homestudy here: marketingforhippies.com/intro