Point of View Marketing
The Subtle, Underestimated & Credibility-Building Power of Articulating Why You Do What You Do The Way You Do It.
If you’ve been following my work for any amount of time, then you’ve heard me talk about the importance of point of view in marketing.
When I say “point of view,” I mean: your perspective, philosophy, take on things, approach, cosmology, system, world-view, core principles, voice, values, map, compass, and route.
Your niche is central to relevance, whereas your point of view is absolutely central to trust and credibility.
Aside from niche, point of view is the missing element in 90% of the businesses I come across.
I’ve been talking and thinking about this for a long time but only recently have I taken the time to really laser in on my exact thoughts about point of view.
The result of that thinking is this eBook.
What’s it about?
Well, imagine that your ideal clients are on Island A where they are struggling with some problem or symptoms they don’t like. They want to get to Island B where there is a result they are craving. Your business is like a boat that can get them from one island to the other.
So, then what’s your point of view?
Your point of view is the map you use to get from one island to the other. It’s the compass you use. It’s the route you plot.
These three things: map, compass, route.
Think of best sellers like The Four Agreements, The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People or Loving What Is.
What do they all have in common? A clear point of view.
Think of enduring perspectives on health and healing like the medicine wheel, the Chinese meridian system and five elements or the chakra system.
What do they all have in common? A clear point of view.
Think of the work you do and what got you into it. My guess is that it was a clear perspective you resonated with that made sense of your world and your struggles.
Bottom line: The clearer your perspective, the more potent your marketing will be to attract your ideal clients and actively repel people who aren’t a good fit for you. A clear point of view will enable you to feel more confident in your business and craft better offers for your clients. A clear point of view is the basis for every piece of content you will ever create.
But a clear point of view doesn’t just happen.
It has to be cultivated and crafted with care.
This eBook is a fine place to start.
BONUS! The Point of View Workbook is include for free with this eBook. This workbook guides you through the best, most useful questions I’ve come up with over the years while working with hundreds of entrepreneurs to help them figure their POVs out.
In this 230 page eBook, you will:
- learn what point of view is in a business context and nine reasons why it matters (many of these have literally never occurred to most entrepreneurs)
- learn more about three core elements of point of view (map, compass and route) and how they apply to your business. Understanding the differences between these three elements can make a world of difference in how quickly and easily you identify your own point of view.
- read dozens of real-life examples of point of view from five major categories of life (i.e. health, money, relationships, spirituality and contribution). After reading these, you’ll start seeing point of view everywhere. This section is like a heating pan to popcorn.
- read a short story about a young woman wanting to leave home and what it can teach you about point of view. This is, I hope, a story you’ll be able to go back to over and over again.
- learn about the Point of View Pyramid (which will give you a sense of what elements of point of view rest on top of what). Understanding what is foundational and what the tip of the pyramid is is vital to developing a point of view that will stand the test of time.
- learn about the four kinds of maps there are in defining your point of view. This was a huge realization for me and I think it will be for you too. Most entrepreneurs have only one of these maps (and it’s usually poorly done).
- see thirteen real-world examples of maps that express a particular point of view. When you read these you’ll realize that you’ve been seeing maps like this for your whole life without knowing that’s what they were.
- read fifteen real-world examples of how core principles can be expressed.
- read thirteen real-world examples of how you can lay out your step-by-step process for working with people.
- learn about five things a point of view is not.
- read my seven big thoughts on how to approach discovering your point of view (how to do it and what to beware of).
- learn the three stages of articulating your point of view. This section is one of my favourite things I’ve ever written.
- learn the eleven criteria of a compelling point of view.
- learn about the power of rants to articulate and hone your point of view. The blog posts I’ve written that have gotten the most response have not been ‘how to’ blog posts. They have been rants. You’ll learn why they are so powerful and get to see dozens of real-world examples of them.
Cost: $40 USD
Bonus: When you buy this, you will also get a 26-minute video in which you’ll get a condensed version of the contents of the whole book and how it all ties together.
P.S. I am incredibly proud of this eBook. I think it’s one of the best things I’ve ever written. I’d love to hear your thoughts and what you come up with when you read it. And I’m also proud to be able to include the POV Workbook with it. Let me know if you find the tasks and process in the workbook useful.