Sometimes people ask me ‘what’s a blog?’ or they feel stuck and uninspired in thinking a blog has to done in only ONE way.
Well, here are fifty blogs I’ve collected from friends.
I asked them all: “What is the most kick ass blog you know of. Not one that’s ‘okay’ or ‘cool’. One you read all the time. One you often forward to your friends. One that inspires the hell out of you.” And these are the fifty I got (with some of my own additions) divided by category. The comments next to them are from the people who sent them in.
Blogs are a powerful social media tool, powerful in positioning you as an expert and helping you become a hub and building trust.
Who knows – you might just find your new favourite blog in here!
Nine Recommended Business & Career Type Blogs:
- http://sethgodin.typepad.com/ – my absolute favorite is Seth’s Blog – mostly because it is always short, sweet and to the point – his comments always totally relate to topics I’m interested in, he’s very quotable,and his site is beautifully laid out for referring back to older posts – I like everything about it and refer people to it all the time. Thought provoking blogs that give new perspectives on crowd psychology, being an individual, and “different” marketing. And the guy can get more thoughts in a paragraph than most people put in a book.
- www.puttylike.com always inspire me to actually get off my ass and do cool/important shit.
- http://www.copyblogger.com/ – Copyblogger. It’s lucid, informative, focused, and often funny.
- http://heartofbusiness.com/blog Mark Silver
- www.getknownnowblog.com Suzanne Falter-Barns
21 Recommended Personal Blogs:
- http://www.explorationsoftruth.com/ my friend Ted has a lovely blog about his dances with life and truth. I love his candor, and he always makes me feel less alone with my struggles.
- www.thxthxthx.com . Brilliant, simple, funny, thoughtful and all about thankfulness.
- http://www.starkravingmadmommy.com/. Being a mom, I’m biased about my preference. I love sassy mom blogs like this. I understand that there are a lot of amazing people out there doing amazing things but I think I prefer to read about them in full scale articles. For my daily dose of something to accompany my coffee I greatly prefer those who can eloquently write about the things I wouldn’t dare say out loud, or those who can lend nobility to making mistakes, being human, and learning from it along the way.
- http://www.50datesin50days.com/ – is socially relevant
- http://mimismartypants.com/ – The parenting this woman does blows my mind, PLUS she is awesome. I love this blog.
- http://sexgeek.wordpress.com/ – awesome sexuality resources for poly and kink, really interesting person. wish she updated more.
- http://inharmonyastrology.blogspot.com/ – best astrology ever. thorough, accessible, relevant.
- http://zenhabits.net/ – Leo’s got inspiration and living a beautiful life down to a regular 200-500 word blog post. 1. My heart sang when I first saw his minimalist lay out and clean design. 2. His excellent writing about letting go of stuff, and simple living speaks to my soul. 3. And he walks his talk — he has a policy of “copy free” for everything he writes, meaning “go ahead and use it however you want” (he believes in the art of giving and receiving). And, finally when he sends his newsletter out his links don’t include any tracking – a minor point, but sort of floored me and reminded me that you can let go of the “rules” that no longer suit you and pare down to what really matters for you.
- http://whipup.net it’s a crafting blog but it has ongoing amazing ideas, projects and links to tutorials and more for kids and adults.
- http://www.saidthegramophone.com/ – New, off-the-beaten-track music every single day, and wacky little stories.
- http://earthbagbuilding.wordpress.com/. I spent hours reading it and watching all the videos yesterday- ridiculous, but awesome.
- www.stevepavlina.com. Personal Development for Smart People. He is brilliant and talk about things people would rather sweep under the carpet. He has over 2 million subscribers to his blog and he did it by just being straightforward, no SEO gimmicks or anything.
Five Funny Blogs:
- http://firesidelolocausts.tumblr.com/ – Eccentric, hilarious commentaries about pretty much anything. Some of it could be a bit notsuitableforwork.
- www.questionablecontent.net – Web comic
- http://the-comique.blogspot.com/ Fantastically unique and humorously tragic:
- http://wwtdd.com makes me land others laugh every day
Five Food, Local Food and Farming Related Blogs:
- smittenkitchen.com and 101cookbooks.com – They’ve both changed my cooking life. Not even kidding.
- www.hitchhikingtoheaven.com – she’s a fab writer and insightful as hell and I love that she started off with something completely different – the universe took her to such a cool place “I named this blog “Hitchhiking to Heaven” because what I meant to write about was the quirky, unexpected stuff we encounter along the road to a thoughtful, satisfying life. Then — surprise! — what I encountered was a lot of jam and jelly”
Ten Political Blogs:
- http://www.albertadiary.ca/ – David Climenhaga’s Alberta Diary – he is a very experinced journlaist and political activist who takes you behind the scences of power making in this province, very smart, witty and always very relevant for those who seek to understand the context of politics in alberta.
- http://daveberta.ca/ is probably the single best, fair and balanced look at Alberta politics on the interwebs. Wherever you fond yourself on the political spectrum, that blog will provide you with some great information on what is happening in your province and how your tax dollars are being used or misused.
- www.itsgettinghotinhere.org dispatches from the youth climate movement
- http://detroitblog.org/ detroitblog has some of the best stories anywhere of what it’s like living in a dying city:
- http://simple-green-frugal-co-op.blogspot.com/ – It’s not fancy or incredibly well designed but it has my absolute favorite content:
So, what’s YOUR favourite kickass blog?
(please share the URL and why you think it’s so amazing below)
If you’d like get cool posts like this in your inbox every few days CLICK HERE to subscribe to my blog and you’ll also get a free copy of my fancy new ebook “Marketing for Hippies” when it’s done.